A quick post reminding you all that this evening we have our second PDP session of the season with Karson. For those of you interested in attending: there is no cost associated and no registration is necessary- please meet Karson at the a-Frame for 7pm. The session will run for 2 hours and tonight’s focus is on “DL course prep”.
Oh and a few of you asked me when your Xmas camp pay will come through/ that should be tomorrow!
Category Archives: On-snow
Good afternoon everyone!
A quick reminder about the Tuesday Night certifying sessions that will be kicking off on Tuesday, January 10th. For those of you needing a refresher of what these are, here’s a short and sweet description:
Who is this for? Coaches who are EL Trained (level 1), preferably coaches who have had 1 season of coaching JHL or NG under their belt but is available for all coaches who have successfully acheived the Entry Level Trained Status.
What is the committment? I know some of you are probably wondering this yourself… the committment for coaches is to attend a minimum of 5 out of 8 sessions (Note: the 1st session on January 10th is mandatory for all) . On the first night, you will be assigned to one night or half of a night that you will have to come prepared to lead a lesson to the group of your peers. At the end of each lesson, coaches will debrief on how the trainer did and recommend ways for improvement. All and all, this will be an interactive learning session.
When do I have to sign-up by? Kent will be running these sessions and you are required to sign-up via email to myself firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the week, January 8th, 2012…. this way Kent, can plan out the 8 week session depending on numbers.
What will I get out of it? You will get some practical experience coaching with your peers and have the opportunity to do lots of reflecting on others and your own coaching styles. At the end of the season, upon completing your book, your risk management EAP (emergency action plan) and your end of season eval- providing that you do a good job at leading your respective session, you will obtain your “certified” status. Please note, we will ONLY be evaluating those who commit to this program.
Any questions? Let me know via email or ask below in the comments section.
Good evening Coaches! Last post in 2011!
Can you believe Christmas camp has come to an end and that we are about to start the year of 2012?! time sure flies by! I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all for what was another successful Christmas camp. You all did a fantastic job with remembering all the racers’ names, keeping them entertained, being creative with our ever-so-changing-plans, and keeping smiles on the racers’ faces- so THANK YOU! I know that this week had its challenges but I do think that you all did a fantastic job with keeping everyone’s attitudes positive and this certainly made my job much easier.
Thanks to the K2 and J coaches for helping run a successful day of time trials at Mount St Louis yesterday. I also heard that the NG and K1’s had a good, but foggy training day yesterday. I hope you all enjoyed your day off today:) and it was well-deserved! Thank you to all the coaches who came out and coaches during Christmas camp! We could not have done it without you- thanks for all your help.
I will be working on the list of coaches for Monday Night HS as well as set-up crew in the next 2 days and emailing those who will be working separately. Please do let me know if you are interested in either one of these 2 working opportunities. I hope you all have a great week and a reminder that programs all begin the weekend of January 7th and 8th. I will ask that coaches (all league) please be on snow for 7:30am (unless otherwise noted later on this week on the blog) and JHL coaches to be on snow for 8am.
Happy new year to all and a reminder that team lists will be posted tomorrow on the parents’ blog. I’ll link the document to this blog so you can all know who is coaching what and who is on your teams.
Once again, thanks for all your hard work, it certainly did not go unnoticed.
see you in 2012.
Good morning coaches!
Let me start off my apologizing for a delayed weekly update- I will do my best to have these up on Mondays for consistency. Hope everyone is doing well- I know many of you are done exams and hopefully almost done your Christmas shopping (as the malls are CRAZY nowadays!). A few updates for this week:
- Opening date for Glen Eden: I know some of you are aware that GE has delayed their opening date to December 26th- this decision was made to preserve their snow making efforts. For more information on snow condition, check out their website www.gleneden.on.ca or see my post on the “parent’s blog” for some pictures of snow coverage http://mhrcinfo.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/christmas-camp-for-league-racers-day-1/. So what does this mean for us? Glen Eden’s snow-making crew has been working night and day and extremly hard to make snow during every possible opportunity and I am confident that we will have a fair amount of open terrain to work with on day 1 of camp. So bottom line- don’t worry… we will be skiing on the 26th!
- Congrats! To all the newly “trained” EL coaches! Looking forward to having you as part of our team this season!
- Coats and Passes: Some of you have been sending me panic emails asking “when you will be getting your season’s pass?!!” No worries, Visitor’s services are printing all coaches and apprentice passes as I am typing this post and I will have them available for you on day 1. Coats on the other hand will be available for pick-up for coaches and apprentices on December 29th. I am awaiting some more information regarding times- as soon as I have this info, I’ll spread the word!
- Licensing Credits: I received an updated file from Jennifer from the snow school with information on who is and isn’t licensed for 2011-12 season… I sent out an email last night to all of you who appear to still be “unlicensed” for the season. A reminder that you have until the end of the week to provide Jenn and I this information via email (email@example.com) in order to be working this season.
- Start time on day 1: I would like to request that ALL coaches who are working December 26th (this is all league coaches) to be in the clubhouse for 7:45am on December 26. Start time for 26th will go as follows: Assessments will take place from 8:45-9:30am and camp will run from 9:30am-3:00pm with 1/2 lunch. We will discuss who is taking lunch when, on Monday morning during our meeting. It is imperative for everyone to be in the clubhouse at this time (7:45am)- we have a LOT of information to cover since our last time together.
- Christmas Camp Teams: Coordinators are working on christmas camp team lists (if you are curious how the teams are formed- it is completely random using a formula) and will be emailing them to you by the end of the week. A reminder that teams will be rotating in order to provide racers the opportunity to ski at least 1 day with every coach at their league level- I will communicate to you how this change will work.
- Your team: You are probably wondering “when you will find out which team you are coaching? ” Great question! Just as we will be posting the teams on Jan 1st at 12noon on the blog http://mhrcinfo.wordpress.com we will be posting coache allocations at the same time. Keeping this information quiet until the 1st of Jan will ensure that all racers and coaches are treated the same during camp.
I believe that is all for now. If you have any questions about this information, don’t hesitate to contact me directly. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and see you on Boxing Day!
Good afternoon Team!
Hope you are all doing well and eager to get on snow. I know that some of you drove a fair bit this weekend to find some white stuff– please send pictures along and I can post them on the blog! So, another week has gone by and it is time for another update…
Training make-up: Hope those of you who missed the training on Nov 12/13 have already RSVP’s to the training on the 20th. This is mandatory and a condition of your employment for you to complete this training. I am still waiting on a date for the Nov 26th make-up training date, as soon as I have it, I’ll make sure to post it on the BLOG.
On-Snow Training Update: I am sure most of you have been watching the weather network as much as I have and you have noticed that the 14 day trend is showing a few cold days but also some warm ones. If you have had a chance to drive by the hill, you would have noticed that they have had the opportunity to make a fair amount of snow… however in order to preserve their snow efforts through the next few hot days, GE has decided to postpone their opening date to December 23rd, 2011. What does this mean? Well it means that you have all weekend to do your christmas shopping and that you don’t have to be at training! Please note that we will NOT be scheduling a make-up session for this weekend’s on-snow training, we will do our best to cover the information that was planned for the session during Christmas camp.
What’s next: The next time, we will be seeing each other will be 8am on snow on the 26th. I will keep you posted on any updates or changes from this on the BLOG so do make sure to be checking it on a regular basis.
Christmas camp schedule: In the next week, I will be working on a Christmas camp schedule that I will email out to all league coaches and christmas camp fill-in coaches. Please make sure to be checking your emails frequently as I will want immediate feedback on the schedule once you receive it. Thank you for your help with this.
Apprentices: You should have already received an email about our weekend training being cancelled, we will make this up on Sat Jan 7th. This will be your first apprenticing shift and you will be expected to arrive and be on snow for 7:30am.
Lastly, a few housekeeping rules:
- I will be sending offers of employment for Monday High School Racing sometime this week or next, do respond if you are still interested
- I know that other resorts may decide to postpone their opening day as well, if this affects you as you registered for a course, a reminder that you must be certified and must be licensed prior to your first shift. If you think that you will not be able to fulfill this requirement, do let me know. In terms of other licensing options- a reminder that you can also complete online modules. For all level 1 courses that are cancelled, do note that they will be reschedule and that it is your responsibility to sign-up for a new course.
- If you are interested in working set-up crew, please let me know asap as well as your days of availabilities. Set-Up crew is from 4:30-6:30pm from Tuesday-Thursday.
I do believe that is all for now. Thanks for keeping yourself updated through the BLOG. A reminder that if I have not received an email back from you with an acceptance of your offer of employment, unless we have spoken in person or via email, your offer has now been revoked. Should you still be interested in working for the season, an email outlining why you were late responding will be necessary for consideration.
Since we will not be seeing each other until after Christmas. Hope you all have a happy and safe start to your holiday season. Best wishes to those of you registered for a course!
Hope you are all doing your snow dance. I couldn’t believe that the weather was 8 degrees celsius this morning- let’s all hope that the weather cools off soon! Not much of an update this week but thought I would get in a habit again of writting my weekly updates on Monday, so here it is:
1. Offers of employment: you should have all received offers of employment for all programs with the exception of High School Racing on Monday nights and Friday Training. For HS, I am waiting to hear back on numbers from the school board, once I hear back, I’ll be sending out offers of employment to the number of coaches needed for the program. Friday Training, will be done a week by week basis as per last season, if you are interested in working a specific Friday Training, email me the week before, especially if it is geared towards the age group or league that you are coaching, you will get precedence over coaching this specific week providing that we have adequate numbers to run the sessions.
IF YOU HAVE NOT received an offer of employment, now is the time to send me an email and inquire.
2. Stratton: I am sure many of you have heard this news by now… unfortunately, we had to cancel the pre-season trip for Stratton scheduled for Friday-Sunday this week due to lack of snow.
3. Training Make-up: As you know, your offers of employment are pending completion of all training sessions. If for some reason or another, you had to miss training on Nov 12-13 that took place at the BARN in Milton, your chance to make it up is :
Tuesday, Decenber 6th (tomorrow night) 5-8pm (chalet-fireplace room), RSVP by this evening for this session (December 5, 2011)
Tuesday, December 20th 5-8pm (workshop- lunch room) (RSVP by December 19th for this session)
You must RSVP by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and to myself to let us know which session you will be attending and we will forward numbers to the trainers. A reminder to ensure that you sign-in at these sessions so we have it on record that you attended.
For those of you who missed Nov 26th training- I do not have a make-up date yet. I’ll advise you when I do.
4. Credits and liscensing: A reminder that you must complete all your required credits in order to an active coach before the start of the season- before December 26th, 2011. You must email a Print screen of you “home page” on www.canski.org website and if you signed-up for a course that equipped you with your missing credits, you must show proof of registration. A reminder that all this information must be sent directly to email@example.com . Not to worry, Jenn will be keeping me in the loop and those of you NOT liscensed will not be working this season so PLEASE make sure that this is done asap.
5. On-snowtraining : On Decenber 17-18th, we will be holding our 1st on-snow training of the season. Please check the calendar to know when your scheduled time is for this training. A reminder that if you cannot attend, I need an email well in advance explaining why you have to miss the training. As you are all aware, training is manditory for all.
I believe that is all for now. Hope you are having a great week. For those of you in exams, good luck!
Wish for snow!
JHL coaches, please be on snow for 8am on Saturday to help with setting your race. As you know, we are short bodies on Sat so please be on time to help Will ensure that all is set for your last timed race.
Sunday teams/coaches, please be on snow for 8am- this should give you plenty of time to set in time for racers at 9am!
Finally, I am able to send out this week’s update. So sorry folks for the delay; we moved this weekend and didn’t have internet access other than on my phone until last night. Plus I was burried in between boxes- so this morning back at work, I finally have a chance to send out the schedule for the week! Hope everyone is doing well. Again, this past weekend, we had some pretty amazing results! Congrats to all teams who continue to remain undefeated and to those who fought a great battle on the weekend as well! Great reults continue for MHRC and I look forward to see what Semi’s has in stores for us!
Without any further delay- this week’s schedule:
Tuesday- TNT night! we will be setting 2 GS courses-0ne on race hill & other on old t-bar lane
Wednesday- we will be setting on our race hill–> we will most likely be training Full gate SL-unless there is a change in the discipline for semis (which I hope to find out/confirm soon)- 2 FULL gate courses (one inside and other oustide of the tower)
Thursday- we will train Kombi for NG on OLD t-bar lane and ____ for the K1’s on race hill (depends on what AOS tells us semis will be..)
Friday- GS training away at Moonstone for NG and K1’s.
Saturday/Sunday is currently unknown until we hear about the semi/hosting schedule. JHL will train as usual on Saturday morning.
As soon as I hear from AOS, I will post the info for the upcoming weekend on the blog-so make sure that you check back often!
Have a good week all and stay away from all the rain that they are calling for!
Good afternoon everyone,
Hi all. in case you haven’t been following the weather, we are supposed to get DUMPED with snow and high blowing winds + white out conditions- that being said, if you do not feel that it is safe for you to get to work, please do not risk you life for training/working. If for some reason or another you cannot make it tonight or tomorrow–> send me an email/text or a quick phone call so I know.